CherryTomato v0.2 Launched

The first “official” release of CherryTomato has been launched.
Download it from here: www.beatpoints.com/cherrytomato

CherryTomato Web Site

This entry was posted in CherryTomato, Productivity. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

13 Comments

1. Dan
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tool CherryTomato! I love that the tool let’s me review what I have done during a Pomodoro session.

It would be nice to have a popup that reminds you about the ending of your break session (similar to these reminders: http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/image81.png )

2. Kristian
    Posted April 3, 2010 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Dan,

Thank you for the kind words!
    And yes, I agree. I tend to let my breaks slip which is a problem. However, I also want to keep the program at an absolute minimum in terms of obtrusiveness.
    As you can see if you go into the settings, I am working on a “reminders” feature. This is partly to remind you of things like getting out of your chair to stretch, but it would also be for starting a new pomodoro if you haven’t been in one for a while.
    Stay tuned for that.. 🙂

Cheers

3. Sriram
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    got to know about the tool through HN. Downloaded it and love the report it spits out after one pomodoro session. I am not able to locate any option to save this information. Would love to have the option to log, so that the activities can be reviewed. Also apart from % spent on each activity, actual duration would also help tremendously. can you make it work with Pidgin to set status.

Great tool, keep it up!!

thanks,
    Sriram

4. Sriram
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

My bad.. noticed the time duration within paranthesis..I take that one back 😉

regards,
    Sriram

5. Kristian
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Sriam,

Thanks! You are correct, there is no way to save that data anywhere, now. CherryTomato keeps a sqlite database with your pomodoros and their evaluations in it. At one point, it also kept all app and keyboard/mouse data for analytics purposes but I decided to remove that for the official version as it presents a rather significant privacy issue. I am considering making it available again, but there would have to be some filtering options etc. Oh, and without a way to actually analyze the sqlite data, I guess it wouldn’t be too much fun either 🙂

I have no immediate plans for a Pidgin plugin, as I don’t use it and this is a spare-time project for me (for now, at least). If you are interested in writing a plugin, let me know and we can discuss.

Cheers

6. Jonathan
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 3:45 am | Permalink

I’ve tried all of the pomodoro timers online for windows – this is by FAR the best.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Me personally, I would love the option of checking online if there are updates to 0.2 n – I end up checking every 2 days to see if there has been a new release.

Thanks again!

7. Kristian
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Jonathan,

thanks!
    I know it’s not very clear, but the program actually does a version check every time you launch it, so you should be informed automatically. Of course, that requires that you actually ever shut it down which I don’t do myself very often, so maybe I should make a button in the settings dialog as well. 🙂

Cheers

8. Jonathan
    Posted June 20, 2010 at 3:53 am | Permalink

That’s awesome, thanks 🙂

9. Vasiliy
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Cool application!
    If you need any help (I’m a WinForms .Net developer) – just email me.
    And why didn’t you make it open source? I would definitely contribute to such a great application. 🙂

The really annoying thing is default focus of the ‘Results’ window. While typing code I ofter press Enter or Space Bar. As the result I see that window about once a day. I can’t see results, man! 🙂
    Please, remove default focus and remove any Alt+Key shortcuts out of the window.

Thanks. You’re awesome. 🙂

10. Kristian
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Vasiliy,

thank you!
    It’s not open source because I haven’t decided yet where exactly I want to take it. It is quite possible that I will make it open source at some point.
    It has been designed with a very flexible plugin architecture though, which I will definitely make public when I feel that it is solid enough.

As for the results window focus problem, I have had that same experience. I will change it. However, why would you not want the alt+key shortcuts? Isn’t that just a problem because of the auto focus? I use the keyboard for everything myself and I would hate to remove those..

11. Vasiliy
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I think flexible plugin architecture is not really necessary for such small and not wide spread application. 🙂 You’ll just waste time implementing it.

Alt+Key shortcuts are also can be clicked accidentally by mistake. Some languages imply to use Alt while typing letters. For example my language (Ukrainian), and AFAIR French have those. But if you think Alt+Key is necessary I wouldn’t mind. 🙂

12. Kristian
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Heh, yeah I can see how that looks. But it is really pretty similar to the way I would have implemented it under any circumstance. The only extra effort I put in was splitting the program int0 a “core” dll and an exe, which does add a little bit of plumbing but it’s not too bad.

I realize that you can use a shortcut by mistake but I don’t see how that is different here than with any program, as long as it doesn’t surprise-focus on you 🙂 I think I will remove that first and then see.

Cheers!

13. Vasiliy
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Me and some my colleagues are inpatient and awaiting for next release. 🙂
    Hope to see Miraculous Application v. 0.3 soon.
    Cheers!