Small CherryTomato Update

CherryTomato v0.4 is out. It now shows the remaining pomodoro time in the system tray. I realized that I really wanted that feature and a number of people have requested it so here it is.

CherryTomato tray screenshot

There are also a number of minor bug fixes and performance improvements. There is more to do but I thought I would just get this one out.

Get it here: http://www.beatpoints.com/cherrytomato

This entry was posted in CherryTomato, Productivity. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

14 Comments

1. Vasiliy
    Posted July 23, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Hi.
    I guess you need a feedback. Well…
    Both CT and dwm.exe uses 0% of CPU according to task manager. 🙂
    The Skype status message after a pomodoro finished is changed back to empty for now.
    Thanks for fixes!

2. Kristian
    Posted July 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Vasiliy,

great! I think it’s very important that a program like this is subtle both with regard to user interface but also resource consumption, so I will keep an eye on these things a bit better from now on.

3. Robert
    Posted July 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Excellent program, thanks! What is the name of the data file for the saved dashboard information, and where is it located? I need to move the program to another computer and would like to transfer this data.

4. Kristian
    Posted July 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Robert,

thank you! The settings and database is located in %appdata%\cherrytomato (you can type that into an explorer or the “run” dialog in the start menu)..

5. Robert
    Posted July 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Kristian,

Found it, thank you. I have tried most of the Pomodoro programs and yours is the best.

6. Vasiliy
    Posted July 27, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Kristian.
    I promoted CT in my office. Some people like it. But two of them have same complain as me. – If you work with several Word documents they are listed as separate items in the table of pomodoro estimation window.
    Could you please make it optional? Either show the table by executable file names or by window title.
    Thank you.

7. Kristian
    Posted July 28, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Fair enough, I will look into it 🙂

Cheers!

8. Caspar
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Noooo! CT crashes on startup! Old version did not crash.

I have windows XP

9. Kristian
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Caspar,

oh no! I know that others run it on XP without problems, so it must be specific to your configuration. Are you using the msn/skype plugins?

If necessary, you can download the old versions from here:

I have decided to make it open source, so I will set up a project soon. I just need a bit of time as this is not the highest of priority to me..

Cheers,
    Kristian

10. Ethan
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Kristian,

Cherry Tomato is brilliant! The best pomodoro timer I’ve found for Windows. I was going to write something myself because I couldn’t find a nice timer, but you have saved me a lot of work. Now I have no excuses but to work on what I’m supposed to.

Currently, left clicking on the systray icon doesn’t do anything. Could you make that action show the simple dashboard, and have it fade out when you move your mouse away? I find it motivating to look at the dashboard from time to time, but I don’t want the window open all the time.

To show the dashboard temporarily currently requires you to go to settings, check the dashboard box to show, and then uncheck it again to hide.

Thanks again for writing this program!

Ethan in London.

11. Kristian
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Ethan,

thank you!
    I like your idea – I am actually a little annoyed with the dashboard myself in its current form. I was considering changing it to a tiny web server hosting a page – that way I could just keep that open on my phone and have an “external” dashboard, but your idea is a quick improvement so I will try and implement that.

Cheers,
    Kristian

12. Vasiliy
    Posted August 17, 2010 at 7:48 am | Permalink

“I have decided to make it open source”…
    Waiting for further announcements. 🙂

13. Brian
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Hi,

Is there anyway of increasing the time on this? It would be good to put it to 30 or 40 mins as 25 mins is sometimes not quite enough!

Thanks

Brian

14. Kristian
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Brian,

you can modify the settings file (located in %appdata%\cherrytomato\settings.xml) Find the pomodoro element and set a “timeSpan” attribute on it with the time you want, such as:

I know this is not the most user friendly way but it does work for now. Of course, the official pomodoro technique advises you to go with 25 minutes 🙂

Cheers,